Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre 8-channel ADAT Preamp
- Fully balanced signal path
- Eight dedicated channel inserts
- Phantom power: +48V, switchable in groups 1-4 and 5-8
- 8 LED level meters and channel clip LEDs
Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre Review
Focusrite is expanding the Clarett+ variety of premium-quality USB audio interfaces for PC and Mac with the addition of the Clarett+ OctoPre, which builds on the strengths of the favored Focusrite Clarett OctoPre, providing improved converters and highly effective professional-quality mic preamps.
The Clarett+ OctoPre provides eight high-quality mic preamps or line-ins/outs to any ADAT-equipped recording interface and affords a huge improvement to the AD/DA converter chips in comparison with the earlier OctoPre.
This implies a higher dynamic range, ultra-low noise floor, ultra-low distortion, and overall some of the clearest recording high quality in the marketplace, even in comparison with opponents’ products costing three or 4 times the price per channel. A technique that Focusrite has achieved is by specializing in the elements that have an effect on recording quality the most: the converter chips and microphone preamps.
Because the conversion is so pristine, the Clarett+ OctoPre is an ideal alternative for the engineer who desires to go into and out of their DAW to track or mix with outboard gear whereas sustaining the very best audio quality. Eight versatile channel inserts let customers track through their favorite outboard parts and capture that gear’s true character.
Connecting Clarett+ OctoPre to a Clarett+ 8Pre through ADAT offers 16 channels for recording. Clarett+ OctoPreis additionally a fantastic alternative for monitoring drums, mixing live streaming performances, connecting to analog synthesizers, or simply upgrading a desktop interface with more I/O.
Moreover, premium, all-analog circuitry with relay management emulates the extraordinarily clear ISA 110 mic preamp from the basic Focusrite Studio Console with an Air mode that switches the enter impedance and provides two cumulative high shelves for up to a 4dB boost within the high frequencies so as to add clarity and presence that makes vocals, drums, and acoustic instruments shine.
Focusrite Clarett+ Design
The front-panel inputs function a prolonged amount of headroom to suit the high-output signal of sources similar to electric guitars, whereas the rear panel provides XLR / 1/4″ combination jacks for the remaining six inputs.
With a dynamic range of 118 dB, every input leads right into a 24-bit analog-to-digital conversion stage capable of sample rates as much as 192 kHz. Each input additionally has its personal insertion level with hard-wired relay bypass for outboard compressors, EQs, or any processor you might have.
On the output side, the Clarett OctoPre presents eight channels of digital-to-analog conversion, providing you with 119 dB of dynamic range within the process. The analog outputs are accessible through a 25-pin D-Sub connection.
Because the outputs can be configured to simply accept line-level signal from the mic pres, this machine is appropriate for mixing sessions and for feeding live consoles, whereas concurrently recording on the digital side.
Included Plugins and Software
- Brainworx Bx console Focusrite SC – The preamps that made Focusrite what they’re at present to your music. No other plug-in provides the distinctive character of the long-lasting massive format console, with ISA 110 preamps – the origin of the well-known ‘Air’ still heard on Focusrite interfaces at present. Bx console Focusrite SC is a full channel strip, providing EQ, de-esser, compressor, limiter, gate, and expander.
- Brainworx BX Masterdesk – Get your record ready with the high-end analog mastering system. Bringing a clean and easy workflow to the art of mastering, permits anybody, from first-time-producer to industry professionals to get studio-quality outcomes quickly and effortlessly.
- Brainworx BX Oberhausen – The fully-analog-modeled replica of a traditional American polysynth. Bx Oberhausen is a component-by-component replica of an icon. With 32 voices, this digital model is capable of twice the count of today’s most respected all-analog synths – for lush chords and big unison.
- Focusrite Red 2 & 3 Plug-in Suite – Incorporates a pair of meticulously captured digital models of the actually iconic EQ and Compressors which have made the Focusrite identify a staple in world-class facilities around the globe. In case you’ve kept up with main releases over the past 30 years, you’ve heard Red 2 and 3.
- Antares Auto-Tune Access – For every part from pure sounding, near-real-time pitch adjustment for getting one of the best vocal takes, to lightning-fast Hip-hop-inspired pitching for including an entirely new sound to your tracks.
- Relab LX480 Essentials – Get 4 reverbs, modeled on The Hit Factory NYC’s reverb unit, and used on numerous hits. LX480 Essentials provides you the sounds of a studio that has performed host to names from Springsteen, the Stones, and Kool and the Gang, to The Weeknd, Pharell, Katy Perry, and everybody in between.
- Softube Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 – The fashionable evolution of the long-lasting JCM800, dropped at you by analog-modeling experts Softube. The Silver Jubilee provides every part from warm cleans, through the traditional crunch, and to modern excessive gain tube amp sounds.
- XLN Audio Addictive Keys – Add fantastically captured piano to your tracks with the selection of one in all four professional-sounding models from Steinway, Yamaha, and the classic Rhodes. Plug in your MIDI controller and play; immediately be transported to an expert recording studio set up to capture one in all these lovely pianos – right out of your studio.
- XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2 – Studio Rock: Add the sounds of a professional drummer to your songs easily. That includes expertly captured samples from high-end Tama and Pearl drums, and Paiste and Sabian cymbals, recorded at Decibel Studios in Stockholm.
- Focusrite Plug-in Collective – Get a brand new plug-in and exclusive offers from a brand new partner every few months.
- 8 premium Clarett+ mic preamplifiers
- Focusrite’s acclaimed Air circuit, switchable per channel
- Pro-standard ADAT connectivity
- Front-panel instrument/mic combo inputs x 2
- Front-panel JFET instrument inputs x 2
- Rear-panel 1/4-inch/XLR combo inputs x 2
- 48V phantom power (switchable in 2 banks)
- Per-channel rear-panel TS insert jacks
- Word clock I/O BNC connectors
- Line outputs via DB-25 connector
- Includes Hitmaker Expansion software bundle
- Internal power supply; IEC power cable included
Why You Need the Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre
If you need to record the whole band, track their performance or use more ins and outs for a concert or life act, this unit will most certainly help you out. With the high-quality build that comes with it, you will have a pristine sound no matter the application.
Being compact as it is, you will have no issues storing it or moving it out with you. And in case you are going to use it only in your studio, then the rack mount size will perfectly suit your setting.
Focusrite is expanding the Clarett+ variety of premium-quality USB audio interfaces for PC and Mac with the addition of the Clarett+ OctoPre, which builds on the strengths of the favored Focusrite unit.
- Amazing Sound Quality
- Sturdy Build
- Air Emulation on Preamps
- Great Value for the Money
- Great Value but not a Budget Pick
Overall, this is a great device for everybody, no matter if you start out now in music production or you are an experienced pro. The Clarett+ will give you everything you need, from quality sound to some tools to start out and a long-time friend that intends to stay with you!
In case you have any questions in regards to this unit, please let us know in the comment section below, or reach out to Focusrite customer care on their website.